Monday 29 October 2012

My DIY Headboard

So I am sure you have seen images for reclaimed barn wood head boards on various blogs and pinterest, but I completely fell in love with the idea and decided to make one myself! My Aunt and Uncle own a beautiful farm in Fergus, Ontario and on their property is an original barn with wood boards that have been through years and years of weathering. Each board was unique in its colour, wash, and texture which added character to it. I love it so much more that the barn boards are from their farm; a place I have attended countless family gatherings, Christmas celebrations, and three beautiful weddings for my cousins. I love the way it turned out in the end, and thanks to my Dad and Aunt Jo-Anne for their help in prepping the wood and assembling it.


The prep work took the longest, the boards had to be washed thoroughly and sanded. It was recommended to use a sealant on the wood, but I really enjoyed the rough salvaged look that the original barn boards had, so I decided to skip that step and keep the wood as authentic in it's weathered look as possible. After that it was just a matter of measuring twice and cutting once, adding the boards to a set of 2x4 legs, and bolting them to the metal bed frame. I added an additional 2x4 in the middle to avoid warping. All in all I am very pleased with the end result, and am happy to have created a personal headboard that I can be proud of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment