Tuesday 13 November 2012

Statement Hallways

I find that hallways are a feature in a home that have a tendency to be over looked. Instead of looking at a hallways as just a transitional space, I have an admiration for hallways that act as a design feature in a home. There are countless options one can do to achieve this...

Shelving in  a wide hallway is a fantastic way to turn what would be a dull transitional hall in a beautiful showcase of family pictures, books, and other personal memorabilia. The curved ceiling is a strong architectural element as well; the white beat board in contrast with the dark wood beams really makes this space dramatic with the added height and beautiful detailing. I also love the lantern pendant in the middle it draws attention to the space as more of a room as oppose to a hallway.


Here is another example of a wonderful use of detail in a vaulted ceiling to really draw attention to the transitional space between two rooms in a house. I think by now it is pretty obvious that I love dark wood and white wood combinations. I love the contrast between the two and I really love the way the dark wood boards look in this vaulted ceiling. The pendants also pull the space together as its own, separate from the two rooms that surround it. 


 This may be my favourite example so far... mostly because I love windows I would live in a house that is all windows if I could. Living in Toronto as a student I went from one dark and dingy basement apartment to another, needless to say I have a new found appreciation for the beauty in daylight. I love the double french doors that go all along this hallway, it brightens up the entire space and really makes it stand out as a focal point.

No comments:

Post a Comment